How to Maintain Moisture - 5 simple steps
So if you've read my blog titled '5 top tips for keeping your hair hydrated', you know how to hydrate your hair and infuse it with moisture. But it may not be easy to maintain. If you can avoid your hair drying out you can avoid breakage. Zero breakage means 100% growth so let those curls keep on basking in that moisture!
For juicy twists and curls that catch the light follow my 5 steps below.
1. Use an oil or butter AFTER using a leave-in conditioner. Not before. Leave-ins are water based and oils repel water. So, if oils are layered first, the leave-in can’t penetrate the oil/butter to moisturise the hair shaft. Swap the order around.
2. Don’t allow hair to dry out for long periods. The longer you leave it, the harder it is to recover and bring back to moisturised health.
3. Moisturise your hair generously before installing a long term protective style.
4. Choose a protective style that allows you to moisturise your hair every few days.
5. Top up the moisture with a light oil if your hair is in a protective style, instead of wasting products that won't penetrate the hair. This helps any moisture to remain.
So there you have it! It doesn't take long to form a habit. Get in the routine and it will come naturally to you before you know it. Enjoy!